Re: Cups not advertising printers

On Sat, 2010-04-03 at 10:19 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I'm installing a new print server, and it's not serving. I've configured the
> printer, it works locally, but even though I checked "share" the ipp packets are
> only sent locally. My existing servers are on FC6, and work fine (private net)
> but the administrative tools for FC12 are totally different.
>
> Interestingly, when I try to add a printer, the client doesn't show any network
> printers and when I try to explicitly look on the server I get a message:
>    It is not possible to get a list of queues from `ps3.tmr.com'
>
>    Obtaining a list of queues is a CUPS extension to IPP. Network
>    printers do not support it.
>
> Firewall is open, sharing enabled, what "security enhancement" do I have to
> disable this time?
If by "works locally" you mean i works on the LAN the server is in but
not on another LAN containing the clients that is standard behavior for
cups.

To use cups to serve printers to clients in a different LAN in
the /etc/cups/client.conf file you need to have a line:
ServerName 70.238.70.20

where in this case 70.238.70.20 is the address of the server.
Note: 70.238.70.25 is not address of my cups server.