Re: midori in LXDE/F-12 spin

Hi Ranjan,

On Monday 22 March 2010 06:31 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>>> I think
>>> other users may also benefit, so something similar to this could be
>>> considered for inclusion in the default LXDE spin for F13?
>>
>> I think this is a very special case. There already is the cpu-monitor
>> plugin in lxpanel which should be sufficient for most users.
>
> I am not so sure. The cpu load monitor does not show processors/cores
> being used, the memory used/available or the swap. These are very
> important for a low-resource machine or for users for whom conserving
> resources is important. Without  a monitor, conservation is not that
> feasible. [Xfce has this feature (I forget what it is called, haven't
> used it since Fedora 11).] So, it might be beneficial to have some way
> of displaying cpu (core)/memory/swap. This is provided for by xosview,
> but other approaches may exist.
>
> Same goes for the network status monitor, which would benefit by having
> some graphical display. Right now, unless I don't know how to set this
> up, my network status monitor just blinks. Only if I click on it do I
> get a window ala Windoze which tells me the number of packets received
> and sent (presumably) since connection. It would be more useful to get
> current rates of uploading and downloading to help in diagnosis for
> connections that get stalled for some reason. The information is all
> there, no question, so it is really a point of whether we can put it in
> as a metered graphical display.

Have you tried conky? Its pretty cool and customisable. I know it
probably doesn't fit into the discussion about a spin's default resource
monitor applet, but for personal use its too good.

Here is my setup with WindowMaker. If you request I can share my
~/.conkyrc too. ;)
<http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll164/jalladandtux/screenies/conky.png>

--
Suvayu