Re: midori in LXDE/F-12 spin

Am Samstag, den 20.03.2010, 17:08 -0500 schrieb Ranjan Maitra:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using LXDE since the F-12 spin and it has been working
> great.

Nice to hear that.

> I have also been using midori which seems to also work fine, but
> I got concerned recently when I got a message from some site saying that
> my browser did not support 128- (or was it 256-)bit strong encryption.
> Reading about it some more, it appears that midori suffers from IMO a
> fatal flaw, namely that it does not tell the user when security works
> and when it does not. See this bug report here:
>
> http://www.twotoasts.de/bugs/index.php?do=details&task_id=743

I think this is something different or at least I don't consider this a
fatal flaw. IMHO indicating https in some way would be nice, but it's
not strictly necessary.

The more fundamental problem is that midori doesn't support
authentication with certificates, only with password. This makes some
websites impossible to access.

> I wonder if the default choice of midori to ship with the LXDE spin
> should not be reconsidered? There is no easy alternative for an answer:
> should it be Big-bloated Firefox or chromium?

Chronium is no alternative until it is in Fedora as a proper package.
And this will take some time, see
http://spot.livejournal.com/312320.html

This leaves us with Firefox but I'm not sure if I'm happy with it. I am
aware of the fact that I cannot make everybody happy, so my intention
was to offer the LXDE spin as kind of a starting point. After the
installation users can easily install the additional software they need.

This might work in most cases, but I'm not sure if it works with the
browser. A browser is fundamental and if somebody installs firefox
because midori lacks some features, he ends up with having two browsers
installed. Even if he uninstalls midori he will probably have some
packages left over that were installed as deps of midori.

Another problem is that midori doesn't support the java plugin, that's
why I left java out of the LXDE Spin. This problem could be addressed
with firefox too.

I still don't know if I like switching, but I'm open to suggestions.
Feedback is very welcome.

> Ranjan

Regards,
Christoph