Re: midori in LXDE/F-12 spin

Am Samstag, den 20.03.2010, 23:26 -0500 schrieb Ranjan Maitra:

> Yes, LXDE has been fabulous, as has been Fedora, no question. I don't
> know what the occasional rants are about.

What rants? I hope I didn't miss anything?! I'm trying to follow this
list for at least all Xfce and LXDE issues or whatever affects my
packages.

> I find midori to be a pretty good option, fast and
> lightweight. But security is a major issue, especially for the user
> who will not be installing much more beyond the basic system. Just my
> thoughts.

I think security is not so much a concern as usability.

> > Another problem is that midori doesn't support the java plugin, that's
> > why I left java out of the LXDE Spin. This problem could be addressed
> > with firefox too.
> >
> > I still don't know if I like switching, but I'm open to suggestions.
> > Feedback is very welcome.
> >

> On a different point, I was wondering how to include xosview into the
> panel? The trouble with xload (the load monitor) is that it does not
> show me what the multiple cores/CPUS are doing at a time. However, I
> can not figure out how to put in xosview in the panel so that it would
> show me the CPU, memory and swap usage. Do you know?

You could try alltray to get xload into the tray of lxpanel. However it
will require a large panel I guess.

> I think
> other users may also benefit, so something similar to this could be
> considered for inclusion in the default LXDE spin for F13?

I think this is a very special case. There already is the cpu-monitor
plugin in lxpanel which should be sufficient for most users.

> Despite my suggestion(s) here, I also wonder if we can make the spin
> smaller by getting rid of redundant gnome/xfce packages. As LXDE
> matures, this should be more possible.

Currently there is not much we can do. There are no Xfce packages in the
spin, but some GNOME ones such as NetworkManager-gnome and all it's
deps. I'm afraid there currently is no alternative. wicd for example
uses more resources and has less functionality. LXNM is not working and
is going to be completely rewritten from scratch.

I'll be more than happy to use any GNOME alternative there is, but for
NM I don't think there is an alternative. Suggestions are welcome
though, not only for NM but also for other packages.

> Thanks again for the great work!! Keep it up!

Thanks!
Christoph