Re: AppArmor about to be merged into the kernel?

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Sam Sharpe <lists.redhat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 22 March 2010 22:36, Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Suse uses AppArmor without kernel integration and I'm not sure what support
> they offer for the project. They bought AppArmor and later licensed
> everybody except maybe 2 developers (not sure).
>
> Anyways, Novell is pretty much a living dead. Its Novell business is, of
> course, dead and Suse still lives because it's on a live support line from
> Microsoft.

Do yourself a favour. Don't try to pass your opinions off as fact.
Novell is very much alive.

I must confess that I'm not very strong on opinions; I'm better on facts.

2006. Microsoft sends a letter to Red Hat pretending that the Linux kernel infringes 235 of their patents and that they'll have to pay royalties. Red Hat answers: "Yeah, no problem! Send the patent list." Somehow, it seems that Microsoft lost the list. Red Hat, who was eager to pay, never received it.

Novell, on the other side, didn't ask for the list. They crawled to Microsoft asking no question and signed. Of course, the deal wasn't that bad.

"The deal involves upfront payment of $348 million from Microsoft to Novell for patent cooperation and SLES subscription. Novell will pay around $40 million to Microsoft over 5 years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell#Agreement_with_Microsoft

http://www.google.ca/search?q=novell+2006+%24348+million

In other words, Microsoft paid ~$148 million to drive a wedge into the Linux community and Novell was glad to comply.

Here's the result:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=NOVL&annual

Now, the shares are gaining on an "offer" of a $2B buyout... which the Novell board of course refused as way too low.

People usually have opinions to make up for their ignorance of facts.