Re: midori in LXDE/F-12 spin

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your response!

> > I have been using LXDE since the F-12 spin and it has been working
> > great.
>
> Nice to hear that.

Yes, LXDE has been fabulous, as has been Fedora, no question. I don't
know what the occasional rants are about.

> > I wonder if the default choice of midori to ship with the LXDE spin
> > should not be reconsidered? There is no easy alternative for an answer:
> > should it be Big-bloated Firefox or chromium?
>
> Chronium is no alternative until it is in Fedora as a proper package.
> And this will take some time, see
> http://spot.livejournal.com/312320.html
>
> This leaves us with Firefox but I'm not sure if I'm happy with it. I am
> aware of the fact that I cannot make everybody happy, so my intention
> was to offer the LXDE spin as kind of a starting point. After the
> installation users can easily install the additional software they need.

I agree that there is no easy solution: however, since security is a
major issue, it would perhaps be a better option to have a secure
browser as the default, and wait while midori gets to speed. Other than
this one issue, I find midori to be a pretty good option, fast and
lightweight. But security is a major issue, especially for the user
who will not be installing much more beyond the basic system. Just my
thoughts.

> Another problem is that midori doesn't support the java plugin, that's
> why I left java out of the LXDE Spin. This problem could be addressed
> with firefox too.
>
> I still don't know if I like switching, but I'm open to suggestions.
> Feedback is very welcome.

On a different point, I was wondering how to include xosview into the
panel? The trouble with xload (the load monitor) is that it does not
show me what the multiple cores/CPUS are doing at a time. However, I
can not figure out how to put in xosview in the panel so that it would
show me the CPU, memory and swap usage. Do you know? I think
other users may also benefit, so something similar to this could be
considered for inclusion in the default LXDE spin for F13?

Despite my suggestion(s) here, I also wonder if we can make the spin
smaller by getting rid of redundant gnome/xfce packages. As LXDE
matures, this should be more possible.

Thanks again for the great work!! Keep it up!

Best wishes,
Ranjan