Re: [slightly OT] rpm Vs deb [Was: Re: Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?]

inode0 wrote:
> This is semantics. Merging and renaming two existing things makes
> something new out of something that already exists. There wouldn't be
> any problem if it weren't for yanking an existing community from
> something they have been contributing to for years into something else
> with a press release.

You and I just think differently. People think differently. Thank goodness.

> But Fedora doesn't bicker about this. Red Hat doesn't mandate this.
> Fedora as a community makes the decision. So why are we discussing it
> at all? Having transparent governance and community decision making
> does not mean bickering about such things.

The problem is communication. With Maemo there was none. I can't say
much for Moblin as I haven't been involved at all.

> This sentiment I think everyone shared in the beginning. Give Nokia
> time to learn its way. But they began with old mistakes (core
> controlled by them and the community contributing on the edges, sound
> familiar?) and continue with a governance model that guarantees a
> dysfunctional community that at each sudden jerk feels used. Hope may
> spring eternal but eventually people get discouraged.

Yes, they are starting out the "same" but you should really Google or
read through some recent (as of this month) posts by @nokia folk that
have posted road maps and such that detail an overhaul of what they want
to accomplish. I'm holding out hope they follow that plan. You're free
to think Nokia won't change.