[slightly OT] rpm Vs deb [Was: Re: Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?]

Hi,

On 02/16/2010 02:58 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
>>  (1) Curious about why you say Moblin is dead? I missed the announcement!
>>
>>  (2) I'm writing this on a EeePC 1000HA (1GB, 160GB - but I'm using less
>>  than 20G) running F12 very nicely.
>
> Moblin and Maemo are merging to produce one project using the best bits
> of each to produce a single distro
>
> 	www.meego.com

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I wanted to point something out to the fedora
folk out here who have not yet heard this -- MeeGo intends to use rpm instead of
deb for package management (yay !).

However, there's been a considerable amount of community bashing taking place
out on the MeeGo mailing list by current Maemo community members who are partial
to dpkg. A lot of the reasoning goes like this ....

...rpm has dependency issues ...
...rpm is slower than dpkg ...
...dpkg is more capable/stable/flexible than rpm ...

Now, the reason I bring this up here is, I assume most people here have come to
rely on and love yum (which is more like the front-end to something that, IMHO,
most users don't use these days -- rpm). As a package management system, I think
rpm is just as capable (if not more) than dpkg. However, the discussion on MeeGo
is turning out to be very biased, with even an active dpkg maintainer chiming in
with an offer to help (professionally too !) work out any possible issues
related to adopting dpkg[1].

As someone who would love to work on MeeGo without having to try various
hacks[2] to get a dev setup on a Fedora box, and also someone who would like to
simply bring some balance in the conversation I mentioned, I request people with
more rpm knowledge than mine to join the MeeGo list and participate in the thread.

cheers,
- steve

[1] http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/meego-dev/2010-February/000085.html

[2] http://blog.gbraad.nl/2009/11/maemo-5-sdk-on-fedora-12.html

Although it might have worked when that ^^^^ post was written, the present
installer script of the maemo sdk is broken on fedora because it first checks
for apt, and if that fails, just works with .tgz archives but still makes a lot
of assumptions about the install environment:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34924&page=2

--
random non tech spiel: http://lonetwin.blogspot.com/
tech randomness: http://lonehacks.blogspot.com/