Re: [slightly OT] rpm Vs deb [Was: Re: Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?]

inode0 wrote:
> If after developing for your favorite open source project for years
> the company "sponsoring" that project decided tomorrow that it was
> merging with another project and you would need to switch to a
> different packaging system I suspect your reaction would be different.

Grown men, some of which have been Debian users/developers since its
inception, are bickering over this non-issue. It's a very fun thread to
follow on how not to handle a serious situation.

> While it is true that there is a fair number of silly arguments about
> the technical merits of the change, the real problem is that there was
> no transparency in the decision process leading to the change. There
> was no explanation that I have seen even stating clearly why the
> change is being made. I'm guessing it is related to LSB issues and the
> decision to have The Linux Foundation direct the project.

It's been explained. The Moblin part of the merger is being used over
the Maemo part. Simple as that.

> Rather than adopting Fedora's package management system what Nokia has
> needed from the very beginning of maemo was to adopt Fedora's
> community model.

Everyone's tied up with RPM vs. Deb that they can't think straight. It's
a big e-peen war that's not going to stop any time soon. The community
will be at a loss due to the bike-shedding that will continue for months.

> Even if this merger somehow turns out well for its target audience I
> think it is a very sad display of the mismanagement of an open source
> project.

MeeGo is a *brand-new* project run by two businesses that want to get
started and produce a device with MeeGo in a few months. Should they
have started at ground zero and asked "What glibc do you want? What
shell do you want? What package system do you want?" That would have
pushed them past 2010 to getting a 1.0 version out with the level of
bickering already present.