Re: Understanding Local Networking - help please?

DB wrote:
> Evening All,
>
> I'm going a bit round in circles (again!), this time it's LAN networking
> which is causing my discomfort...
>
> I've got a desktop & a laptop, both running Fed 11 & KDE (both installed
> from the 11-KDE live CD), the LT since just after the release, the DT
> since the weekend.  There is also my wife's XP machine.  All 3 are
> connected by cable to a D-Link 524, which in turn is cable-connected to
> the ISP's Scientific Atlanta router.  All 3 machines connect without
> problem to the outside world, BUT I don't seem to be able to get any joy
> out of trying to swap files between them.
>
> I tried Samba and SMB4K but neither Fedora machine is able to see
> anything in its Network neighbourhood.  (Left the XP machine out of the
> equation for now!)

Dumb question 1 - are you running the smb and nmb services on the
machines you are trying to connect to?

Dumb question 2 - are you running a firewall on the machines? If so,
did you open it up for Samba and Samba client?

Dumb question 3 - does /var/log/messages or the log files in
/var/log/samba show anything when you try to brows the network?

Mikkel