Re: [Bulk] Re: Understanding Local Networking - help please?

On 09/16/2009 01:46 AM, Michael Semcheski wrote:
I think getting Samba setup is potentially difficult - you don't describe it in enough depth to say what exactly the problem is (my guess - you need to access the machine by using its DNS name or IP address, the "browsing the network neighborhood" doesn't even work all the time on a properly configured Windows network.)

However, if its a relatively small amount of traffic between Linux machines, I would be more inclined to use ssh / scp / sftp.  It takes a little effort to setup (generate RSA keys, copy the public key to the other machine*, etc.)  It is very convenient once its setup.  You can also use something like filezilla, winscp, or best of all sshfs.

* something like the following works:
    cat .ssh/id_rsa.pub | ssh user@othermachine "cat - >> .ssh/authorized_keys"