Re: No sound for second user in Fedora 11?

Michael Hannon wrote:
> Howdy. I'm trying to teach my (nearly-adult) son some things
about Python and, as sort of a side effect, about linux. We're using
Fedora 11 on an x86_64 system. Of course I gave my son his own
account on the system. He noticed that he's getting no sound in his
account, even though sound works fine in my account. Note that I'm
always the first person to login to this system after it reboots,
and I retain my session when my son logs in (via "Switch User").

If you log off, and he logs on, instead of using "Switch User", he
will have the sound access.

> I gather from browsing the web that this is a feature, not a bug.
I.e., it appears that the first one to login to a Fedora box after a
reboot gets the sound, and nobody else does, or at least not without
some serious shenanigans at the system-wide level. Can someone with
more knowledge of the situation confirm or deny this? If it IS the
case that only one user gets sound, what are the prospects for
relaxing that constraint in Fedora 12?

If you only have one user logged in to the GUI at a time, that user
will have access to sound. Logging in remotely, or from the cli does
not count. But giving sound to everyone is considered a security
risk. I have no idea what, if anything, is in the works to allow
Pulse Audio to work with Switch User...

Mikkel