Re: Multiple IP addresses without aliasing?

Ryan B. Lynch wrote:
On 08/29/2009 04:18 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
But now you have gotten to the real heart of the matter, which is not
the aliases at all, but the filenames, if I read it correctly. And
that opens up a whole can of solutions, depending on the part of
Windows which is upset with the colon. Not knowing where the problem
lies, I can't offer the slightest help, but there are other shells for
Windows if the problem lies there, or whole Linux versions running in
VM, paravirtualized, under qemu, or as a microkernel using colinux.

I'm going to save you several hours' worth of researching:  NTFS isn't
capable of handling ':' characters in path names.  There is no simple
way to handle this, client-side, even in SVN.

You present a great idea, though--virtual machines!  Each Windows user
could install and run a whole virtual machine, and just switch over to
using Linux.  That sounds like a fantastic idea.  It's so easy, too--all
I'd have to do is:

 - install virtualization software on those workstations
 - find or build a suitable Linux image
 - convince Windows users that the memory and disk sacrifices are worthwhile
 - teach/convince Windows users to use a Linux interface, dev tools, etc.
 - support the users, maintain the Linux images, etc.

Man, and I was going to write a 10-line BASH script that runs a couple
of 'ip addr' commands.  Crazy, I know--I'm glad I can use virtualization
to solve this problem, instead.

I thought you rejected that manual method and wanted it done in system scripts. You said
 "I'm familiar with the manual method.  What I'm wondering, now, is
 whether the init scripts support any method that achieve the same
 effect."

There are a number of images which include the whole virtualization environment and as I recall fit on a CD. Your ten line script could be run at startup, pull the files to a Windows filesystem with renaming, and terminate. I thought Windows could share files now so it could be done on one machine without forcing anyone to dedicate 500MB to soling their problem.

And when I had to do filesharing with Macs and couldn't handle a "/" in filenames it was a UNIX problem, so I think you have a Windows problem. MacOS, don't know if OS/X allows that.

The whole idea of Linux developers doing development on Windows workstations sounds like a pretty unusual situation, to be honest.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>