Re: no medium xterm font (fwd)

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 15:14:38 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Hennebry <hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Aug 2009, stan wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 10:43:30 -0500 (CDT)
> > Michael Hennebry <hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> No two fonts have the same height.
> >> Until I understand what's going on, I really don't dare tinker.
> >
> > Why not?  I don't understand what harm this does.  Are you
> > restricted for space?  I installed all the available font packages
> > on my system, and
>
> I'm afraid of breaking something.
> "breaking" includes making it harder for
> me to fix or for others to help me fix.
> My fonts technically are not broken,
> but from my point of view, they need fixing.

I guess.  How can you break it?  You would just set it back to the
original font and things are the way they were.  I must be missing
something in your argument.  I just don't see a potential for breakage
here.

Before you start trying fonts, write down the original font the xterm is
using.  Then test away.  At the end, if you don't find a better font,
set it back to the original value, and you are exactly where you
started.

> > ran through them trying each one until I found a combination of
> > font, characteristics (bold, regular, italic) and size that I
> > liked.  Then I made that the default.  I did this for the terminals
> > under X, and gvim. As I recall, there were many fixed width fonts.
>
> How?
> I presume I can download all the fonts I want.
> How do I tell xterm to use the fonts I want?

Bring up an Xterm.  Click Edit->Profile Preferences.  Uncheck "Use
system fixed width font".  Click in the Font box.  Try fonts.

> For that matter, how do I tell what fonts xterm is using now?

See above.

> > I expect that because there aren't the restriction of the console,
> > the fonts for the terminal are a little more freeform.
>
> What restrictions?

On a console, the font block sizes come from the BIOS, and are fixed the
way you specified.  They can't vary.  You can change which block sizes
to use with presets like 0x317 or 0x318, but you have only those choices
of sizes.

An Xterm is a console *emulation* and so has no such restrictions.  You
can define your fonts however you want because you are actually running
a GUI application.