Re: Multiple IP addresses without aliasing?

Ryan Lynch wrote:
On 2009-08-29, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Note, adding a address via "ip" works in some odd ways you might not expect,
and
you have to set up routing by hand as well. What is wrong with the alias
method
which works for the rest of us?

I'm aware of the differences in how iproute2 constructs interfaces,
and the command syntax, (I do a lot of rule-based routing work), but I
appreciate the concern.

I can believe that you've never encountered an application or
situation where aliased interfaces become awkward.  I didn't think it
was asking a lot, to believe me that they do exist.  But it sounds
like maybe you don't, so here goes:

 * Have you ever tried versioning your system/build configurations in SVN?
 * And did any of those system/build configurations include
'ifcfg-eth0:0'-style alias config files?
 * And then, did you try checking out those config SVN repos, for
developer access, on Windows workstations?

I can assure you that my last Windows work was on Win-3.5 and that I would not in any event ever be checking out Linux developer files on a Windows workstation. I actually can't imagine those config files being useful on Windows, but if your point was that I don't share the problem, you're right, and thank God for it.

If you don't have that experience, or something similar, then I can
understand why you don't appreciate my grumbling over a "method which
works for the rest of us."

But now you have gotten to the real heart of the matter, which is not the aliases at all, but the filenames, if I read it correctly. And that opens up a whole can of solutions, depending on the part of Windows which is upset with the colon. Not knowing where the problem lies, I can't offer the slightest help, but there are other shells for Windows if the problem lies there, or whole Linux versions running in VM, paravirtualized, under qemu, or as a microkernel using colinux.

Your problem, if I understand it, is a Windows problem, not Fedora.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>