Re: quotas on nfs share

Once upon a time, Aldo Foot <lunixer@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> I cannot believe that it's not possible to enable nfs quotas *on fedora* at all.
> I guess this is not done frequently enough to catch people's attention.

With NFS, quotas are set up on the server's underlying filesystem.  You
then run rpc.rquotad on the server (which the Fedora nfs init script
starts by default).

I just set up quotas on my home NFS server (which is still running F9).
I had to reboot to get them enabled on the filesystem (probably could
have unmounted/remounted and then restarted NFS services, but this box
reboots in under a minute anyway).  I can see them with the quota
command on the NFS client, and they are enforced.

If you want to edit quotas remotely, you have to use the -r option to
edquota.  This also requires adding the -S option to the rpc.rquotad
call (in /etc/sysconfig/nfs on Fedora), but only works in rpc.rquotad
was compiled with that support; the version in F9 and F10 was not, but
F11 includes this support.

None of the other quota commands (such as quotacheck, quotaon, etc.)
work on the NFS client, because those operate directly on the local
filesystem only.

All of this works fine for me between an F9 NFS server and an F11 NFS
client, except for the rpc.rquotad -S option (which should work when I
get the NFS server upgraded).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>