Re: quotas on nfs share

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Rick Stevens<ricks@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Aldo Foot wrote:
>> The mount command does have a "usrquota" mount option. See man page.
>
> The man page states that "usrquota" is only valid for affs,
> ext2/ext3/ext4, jfs, and xfs filesystems.

Hmm... that's a very good observation . Thanks Rick.
Nothing is said about nfs filesystems.

> Have you tried "quotaon /NFS/mountpoint" on the client?

Nothing seems to work for that nfs mount point on the client.

client> quotaon /mnt/p1
quotaon: Mountpoint (or device) /mnt/p1 not found or has no quota enabled.

client> quotacheck -cugm /mnt/p1
quotacheck: Cannot find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted
with quota option.

client> repquota /mnt/p1
repquota: Mountpoint (or device) /mnt/p1 not found or has no quota enabled.
repquota: Not all specified mountpoints are using quota.

I've got this version of quota on the client.
client> rpm -qa | grep quota
quota-3.17-4.fc11.i586

On the client, I created a partition and enabled quotas just to check that, at
least locally, it works.

client> repquota /mnt/p2
*** Report for user quotas on device /dev/sda9
Block grace time: 7days; Inode grace time: 7days
                        Block limits                File limits
User            used    soft    hard  grace    used  soft  hard  grace
root      --    1167       0       0              4     0     0

And just to add another informative detail, the quota related files do
exist in the
server exported filesystem.
server> ls -l /mnt/p1
total 30
-rw------- 1 root   root     7168 Aug 12 18:15 aquota.group
-rw------- 1 root   root     7168 Aug 12 18:29 aquota.user

I cannot believe that it's not possible to enable nfs quotas *on fedora* at all.
I guess this is not done frequently enough to catch people's attention.

any comments? what am I missing?
~af