Re: quotas on nfs share

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Sam Varshavchik<mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It seems to me that quotas, if any, would need to be enabled or implemented
> on the server, and not the client. This client has no clue, of course, if
> any other client is mounting the same export on the server. Some other
> client may very well be creating files, using the same userid, which impacts
> the user's quota.
>
> Therefore, logically, if there's something that needs to be done to
> implement quotas, you'll want to look on the server, not the cient.
_____

You're correct. All quota setup is done at the server. That's what
I've done. Quotas
are working in the server.

I put this line on the server's /etc/fstab.
  "/dev/hdd5      /mnt/p1                 ext3
defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 2"

The mount command does have a "usrquota" mount option. See man page.
I used that option; see previous email. So when you mount at the client, you
tell it you want to use quotas with the "usrquota" option.

Also, /etc/exports says that "usrquota" is not an export option.

Even though I mount with the usrquota option, the client does not see a
filesystem with quotas.

client> edquota jdoe
No filesystems with quota detected.

client> quotacheck -cugm /mnt/p1
quotacheck: Cannot find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted
with quota option.

I'd really love to solve this one. According to me eSearch, just about
everyone who ever tried to solve this problem, went out without an answer.
This fedora list has to have something...  ;-)

thanks a bunch for the reply.
~af