Re: F10 and Gnome - not root login

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Aldo Foot <lunixer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Aldo Foot <lunixer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> If you think it's worth it let's give it a shot and tell me what to do.
>>
>> looks like firstboot is failing to run. Hence why its still enabled to
>> run again on next boot.
>>
>> On that freshly installed affected system, does firstboot run manually
>> without error?
>>
>> alt-ctrl-f2
>> login as root
>> init 3  (switch to runlevel 3 which should kill gdm)
>> /usr/sbin/firstboot
>>
>> hopefully this spews some error messages to the virtual console.
>>
>> -jef
>
> I did a fresh install choosing KDE only --this deselect the gdm package
> from the X Windows System group. The problem persisted even though
> there was no gnome or gdm in the picture.
>
> I reinstalled once again choosing GNOME. The problem persisted.
>
> So I logged in as root.
> In both occasions I tried your suggestion to run firstboot manually, and it
> failed with an error:
> "-bash:/usr/sbin/firstboot:/usr/bin/python2:bad interpreter: No such
> file or directory"
>
> Effectively speaking, the python interpreter is not there.
> There is a empty link: "/usr/bin/python2 -> python"

This would indicate a problem with the install of the python package.

Empty link?  /usr/bin/python2 exists on your system?  But
/usr/bin/python doesn't?

ls -la /usr/bin/python*   would be interesting output to see.

Also note that the installed python rpm on the afflicted system should
have installed both the python binary and the python2 symlink in
/usr/bin

rpm -ql python |grep "/usr/bin"

rpm has the ability to verify its payloads as installed on disk

rpm -V python
if /usr/bin/python is missing or /usr/bin/python2 is missing rpm -V
python will include a line about the missing fine in its output.

You might not be able to read its cryptic output, but the general rule
of thumb is  rpm -V  is silent unless it thinks there is a problem
with a payload file as installed from the package you are trying to
verify. Some of the verification tests it does will require you to be
root to be accurate or it will flag files as being potential a
problem.

-jef