Re: Windowmaker and NetworkManager

> 2009/1/28 suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> 2009/1/28 Steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Hi Suvayu,
>>>
>>>  On Wed 28/01/09  3:51 PM , suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx
>>> sent:

>>> I use 'docker'[1]. This tool has been the sole reason i switched back
>>> to using WindowMaker after having to compromise on using Gnome with all
>>> it's bells and  whistles, for a long time.
>>>
>>> After starting docker (and docking the app), you can start off any of
>>> the gnome-panel applets and they will appear in docker.
>>>
>>> I prefer starting off:
>>> pidgin -n
>>> gnome-power-manager
>>> network-manager
>>> If you are a regular user of WindowMaker, you might already know about
>>> the file ~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/autostart, where you can start
>>> up network-manager on login.
>>>
>>> (note, i am not on my laptop right now, so can't confirm the exact
>>> commandline, if you have trouble, please let me know and I'll send you
>>> my configs when I can)
>>
>> Thanks for such a prompt reply!
>>
>> I am trying out WindowMaker as Gnome started to feel more cumbersome
>> to use with all its "features". I will try that out and report back
>> how it goes for me.
>
> I installed docker and put 'docker &' in the autostart script. After I
> re-login with WindowMaker as the desktop manager, I see the dock. Now
> when I start pidgin, it shows an icon in the dock as expected. However
> when I start NM, it says that I need to be root to run NM (I tried
> this in terminal to see the message it spews). Sudo doesn't work
> either. So I su to root, and run NM, but that doesn't do it either. Am
> I missing something?

Not very sure about this, but NM should be started as a service:

service network stop           (to stop the traditional network)
chkconfig network off          (to prevent it from starting on boot)

service NetworkManager start   (to start NM now)
chkconfig NetworkManager on    (to start NM on boot)

You should also use the system-cofig-network gui and tick "controlled by
network manager" for every device you have, while you're at it. Reboot, or
"service NetworkManager restart" after you are done configuring.

As for the dock, you should run "nm-applet" utility (possibly from the
autostart script). The nm-applet is actually that thing you should see in
the dock. It doesn't need root priviledges to run, and you use it to
communicate with NM. At least that's what I do in KDE. :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko