Re: F10 and Gnome - not root login

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Aldo Foot <lunixer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> One has to wonder, what are the odds that two different people had
>> some weird dvd.
>> As a side note: I had created the "problem" dvd I used previously on
>> 12/04/08 ( I dated it),
>> and that was a few days after the mainstream release on late November.
>
> The real problem is the people experiencing the problem aren't diagnosing it.
>
> My understanding is firstboot is running as boot time service.  The
> absolute first thing that needs to be checked is to see if the
> affected installs have firstboot configured to run as a boot time
> service as soon as the install process is finished.  You can do that
> by either booting into runlevel 1 (single user mode) instead of doing
> the default boot after the install is finished..logging to the single
> user console and running chkconfig --list firstboot  which should
> report that firstboot is configured to run or not for runlevel 5.

I mentioned earlier I downloaded the most recent ISO available and
successfully used it to install F10. No issues. I did it a second time with
this dvd and still had no problems. Same computer, a test mule.

I decided to try once again the ISO I had made back in 12/04/08 and
the original problem was there. No firstboot routine, no root login at the GUI.
BUT, while at the GDM login screen I pressed CTRL-ALT-F2; there it is
a text based
login prompt and I logged in as root.
So, I did "chkconfig --list firsboot" and it's on for levels 3 and 5.
Also the init
script is there.
I did not see anything in /var/log/messages that suggested anything is
out of place.
BTW, I deselected groups of packages, but not individual packages. I chose
not to install Office Productivity, Sound and Video, Text Based Internet (from
Applications), Dial Up And Networking, Hardware Support,  and Input Methods
(from Base System). I made sure that these were selected from the
X Windows System group: firstboot, gdm and smolt-firstboot.

> The script is configured to turn itself off after it runs firstboot
> and exits successfully with return value of 0.  That could be a logic
> fault in the script, if on some systems firstboot is attempting to run
> and returns a 0 status but failed to accomplish the task.  I'm not
> sure I certainly can't reproduce the problem.

That's true. In fact I checked that with the last good install I did. Ckhconfig
showed firstboot turned off on all levels.

> But to investigate that we'd have to find someone who can consistently
> reproduce the problem across multiple fresh installs.  If I can find
> someone who can do that then I can probably walk them through
> replacing the firstboot init script with a more verbose script using
> the rescue mode or single user mode on the system.

If you think it's worth it let's give it a shot and tell me what to do.

~af