Re: Puzzling over NFS4

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Petrus de Calguarium
<kwhiskerz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I use NFS4 to make desktop computer directories available to the laptop to
> either sync manually or with rsync. This works excellently, except for some
> NFS problems.
>
> I start the NFS daemons in this order:
> rpcsvcgssd
> rpcgssd
> rpcbind
> nfslock
> rpcidmapd
> nfs
>
> No errors are apparent on either computer.
>
> I stop the daemons in this order:
> nfs
> rpcidmapd
> nfslock
> rpcbind
> rpcgssd
> rpcsvcgssd
>
> Only the laptop shows an error, namely, rpcbind fails at shutdown.
>
> *Also*, on the desktop, I haven't checked the laptop, these are not
> unmounted:
>
> sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
> nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)
>
> What is the correct order to start the daemons?
> What is the correct order to stop the daemons?

First stop rpcbind, the nfs. Then start nfs and rpcbind, in that order.
Check with 'rpcinfo -p'

> How do I get sunrpc and nfsd unmounted?

run 'service nfs stop' twice.
do 'ps -ef | grep nfs' to make sure the processes were terminated.

> Do I need all six daemons to do what I want?

The nfs and rpcbind should take care of the needed processes.

~af