F10 and Gnome - not root login

I ran into a problem today for which I already found the answer, but I wanted
to ask what in the world is going on with F10 and gnome's initial install??

Today I decided to install F10 for the first time and decided to try out the
Gnome desktop. The install was clean. Somewhere during the install I was
asked for the root password. I did noticed I was not given a chance to
create a regular user account.
The system booted and I enter the username (root) and its password. So now
I now that for security reasons root is not allowed to login using the GDM. The
fix is to edit /etc/pam.d/gdm to comment out the line with "user != root" in it.

But now, seriously, how I'm I supposed to log in at the desktop when I was not
offered the chance to create a regular user account during the installation?

This has to be the most discouraging thing for someone who wants to try out
fedora for the first time. How in the world is a newbie going to
figure this things out?

I skimmed through the release notes and didn't see anything related to this.
~af