Re: wireless WPA at boot time

Harald Hoyer wrote:
Andrea wrote:
max bianco wrote:
On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Andrea <mariofutire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mike wrote:

I will reimplement exactly what I did in Fedora 7, but it strikes me that nobody cares about that and the big thing is the desktop integration in a
Windows-like manner.

Everyone has their own priorities.

I wonder how Fedora can be used in a server-environment? But I guess there the network is wired (or wireless WEP :-)
There was a thread about various people's experiences with Fedora as a server. Removing the cruft left me with the idea that Fedora is very usable as a server provided one knows what one is doing. However with a total lifespan of roughly 13 months, a fedora release tends to be high maintanence as far as server platform's go and of course being on the cutting edge has its price in terms of stability on occasion. So Redhat supported if your new to the game or CentOS if your reasonably experienced. Fedora as a server if linux is an exercise in effortlessness for you or your really lucky ; )

This idea of a user-mapped hardware devices is very much Windows-like.

How can I connect more than 1 user to the same machine if each user has its own network settings? I don't even need to be root to bring up the interface! That is the opposite of what Linux has been in the last 10 years.

Personally I think Windows is one long nightmare from start to finish. I deal with mostly home users of Windows, which means XP Home and now Vista. I'd much rather deal with Fedora "instability" ,as some put it, all day long and twice on Sunday than deal with some closed off piece of crap, where the best and most oft used remedy to a problem is to just wipe and reinstall. Would you buy a car that you couldn't fix? with an engine that needs a rebuild every time you change the spark plugs? As for the networking, from what i have seen the difficulty in turning hardware on and off has always been that it requires elevated privileges to talk to the hardware. I think we are moving towards user-mapped interfaces but it will be like confining people in chroots, if done properly they will feel like admins in their domains but never have control over the actual hardware just their virtual piece of it or something like that....i have much to learn but i have access to the tools so I cannot whine about that at least : )
But if this this is the price to pay to see more people using Linux, I guess I am ready to pay it (for the moment!)

On a lighter note someone walked in today and thanked me for the free ubuntu cd I gave them a couple of months back. I had completely forgotten about it, and I quote "My kid loves it".

Anyway, I might even try to contribute to /etc/init.d/network to improve the situation!
As soon as I find who/where is developed.

That's what it's all about. Linux doesn't always work they way we would like but with access to the source and a mailing list we can make it do anything. Puts a whole new spin on "shady tree mechanic".

--
On the eighth day he said "There shall be no rest for the weary."

On the ninth day he farted, and it smelled like sulphur.