Re: Installed F9 - problems with Evolution - Send/Rec button etc

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 21:09 -0700, David L wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Phil <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         People,
>
>         I just installed F9 and am getting everything going again but
>         I am
>         having problems with Evolution:
>
>         - it is receiving mail OK but mail going out sits in the
>         Outbox forever
>
>         - The "Send/Receive" button is permanently greyed out
>
> I had this problem too... I think it was related to another problem I
> had with eth0 not coming up, but I'm not sure.  Any way, evolution
> decided to put itself in "offline" mode.  I was able to fix it by
> using
> the file menu ->work online.

A few weeks ago I had this problem on F8, whereby Evo would insist on
starting up offline even though I had configured it to start online. I
finally tracked it down to NetworkManager. At that time I was using
s-c-n but NM was also running even though it didn't manage any
interfaces. The upshot was that NM thought I was offline even though I
wasn't, and Evo took its cue from NM instead of checking for itself.

I complained about it on the Evolution list but I doubt the situation
has changed since then.

The fix was to surrender to the inevitable and use NM for everything.
Luckily I have a simple setup so it didn't cost me anything, but YMMV.
Using s-c-n and turning off NM completely might also work.

poc