Re: Problems with ifconfig in Fedora 8

>> be
>> an
>> >
>> > We really ought to fix that :o) the issue is one of ordering more than
>> > actual inclusion in the path, i.e. the order should for /bin,/sbin
>> > (for each of /usr/local, /usr, /) for users and /sbin,/bin (likewise)
>> > for root.
>>
>> IMO, the proper fix should be to have one version of the command, in one
>> location.  If there are functions that require root privileges to run,
>> and
>> the user running the command is not root, then have the command pop up a
>> message indicating that the specified option(s) require root privileges.
>>
>> This is standard in a lot of apps and commands...why shouldn't it be so
>> for base OS commands?
>
> IIRC, the stuff in /sbin doesn't assume you have a GUI, so "popping up"
> is not really an option.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who takes things way too literally
for their own good. :-)

Having duly noted the above, note that a GUI is not a necessity for the
ability to say "You're not root, you can't do that".

Try running "nmap -sS <ip address>" as a non-root user.

It comes back with a message that says "You reuested a scan type which
requires r00t privileges, and you do not have them".

Try mounting a filesystem as yourself...you get a message that says:

mount: only root can mount /dev/hdaX on /mount/point

All within the confines of your text/telnet/ssh session.

It comes

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org