Re: Problems with ifconfig in Fedora 8

> On 22/04/2008, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>  There's a reason that ordinary users don't include /sbin:  There can be
>>  commands in /bin and /sbin with the same command name, but to do
>>  slightly different roles.  The root user will use the first one if
>>  finds, the one in /sbin, which may allow them to do more than what an
>>  ordinary user can do with the /bin command.
>
> We really ought to fix that :o) the issue is one of ordering more than
> actual inclusion in the path, i.e. the order should for /bin,/sbin
> (for each of /usr/local, /usr, /) for users and /sbin,/bin (likewise)
> for root.

IMO, the proper fix should be to have one version of the command, in one
location.  If there are functions that require root privileges to run, and
the user running the command is not root, then have the command pop up a
message indicating that the specified option(s) require root privileges.

This is standard in a lot of apps and commands...why shouldn't it be so
for base OS commands?

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org