Re: Problems with ifconfig in Fedora 8

Stuart Sears wrote:
Pedro Jose wrote:
Hello:

In a Fedora 8, and also in a Centos 5.1, when I open a terminal and I
login as root, I type ifconfig, but the command is not detected.
However, when I go to a tty, Cntrl + Alt + F1, for example, and I
login as root, ifconfig is recongnized.

How can I fix it?

The ifconfig command is in /sbin, which is not on a normal users PATH.

so, you can do one of 2 things:
* type /sbin/ifconfig

or
*change your path to include /sbin (and if you are going to do that, you may as well add /usr/sbin as well)

in /home/YOURUSER/.bash_profile:

(at the bottom, ideally)

export PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin

and then logout and login again

(Sorry for my english, I'm spanish)

not a problem. My Spanish is lousy. :)

Regards,

Stuart

In a simpler way, you can type su - instead of su in a terminal.
This gives you also the root environment variables (including PATH).

Andrea