Re: low power tv: your two cents ric take-two

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 21:51 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> >  I think this would be a heckuva thing to do to stream as
> > a source of media to broadcast. My two-cents, Ric
> >
> A la carte cable just took on new meaning.  Imagine when every community
> has their own virtual world shows, and you can travel the world and join
> in as if you were there.  And, you don't need to pay some corporate thug
> thousands of dollars.  You made my day, Ric.

I'm still working on some gotchas in the Wonderland scheme. I'm somehow
missing permissions to run an X11 application within it. Les's
suggestion "Xhost +" did away with some of it's complaints. Java is
fairly new to me, although I've run plenty of Java apps in the past. But
this is getting into the bare-knuckles end of Java, and it has to find
and be able to utilize resources.

Spatial Sound wouldn't work for me when configured in test mode as
localhost (127.0.0.1) but works perfectly as
"iam" (iam.wayward4now.net), 192.168.1.101

It's a 150 meg dnload as a zip file, but I would suggest, if you have
the bandwidth, to use the cvs method so you can update it nightly, if
you chose. Goto: https://lg3d-wonderland.dev.java.net/
 -then create an account, before dnloading or cranking up cvs. You'll
need the account for Wonderland to load additional stuff, like avatar
graphic data and such. After I get the X11 apps to work, if you want to
have collaborative World creation fests, it has to port to apache so
other users can use firefox to use as a client for such stuff. Nifty.
With F9 the new version of Java will get a heckuva test. I hope that it
works, which may clean up some of the security holes, especially if
SELinux emcompasses Java within it's rules. Then I'll have to learn
that! :) If I can help, feel free to email me. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar