Re: low power tv

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 06:50 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:

> >> There's lots of activity when I type keywords, video conference distance
> >> learning, but nothing at the no budget level, yet.  Seems like there's
> >> going to be a server/client network description someplace.
> >>
> > Tom, Check out Wonderland from Sun Microsystems. It runs under Java,
> > provides a 3D world builder and get this, it'll run X11 apps within. I'm
> > having problems getting the darn thing to connect as it uses inet6 but
> > others have done it. It might be worth looking into.
> >

> Ric:  Good pointer.  It definitely would be an excellent use of a
> community wireless network (intranet).  Might be even a critical one for
> introducing our local teachers to computers and how they can be used in
> the classroom for collaborative educational projects.
>
> I saw Firefox boosting notes that called for disabling inet6 as one step
> to speed up browsing.  I wonder if you have to do something similar with
> your system whenever you move to Wonderland.

I'm still beating my brains out with inet6 but I've almost got it
licked. Wonderland has two features the OP might wish to consider.
First, telephony is neccessary in the middle of it. Second, it uses
graphic avatars to put a body to the voice, plus X11 apps all streaming
to the clients in virtual conference rooms. So, you could be sitting in
a virtual boardroom, with everyone else present in their avatars (like
SecondLife) then you can open an Xterm on a wall of the room and
everyone can manipulate it in real time, although only one user using it
at one time. You can pull up Open Office or Spanish Lessons, or Firefox.
All of this while people are talking. No doubt, for it to really be
effective, you would probably have to have Fiber Channel to a community
fiber-based cable company service.

What excites me is that Wonderland is Linux-centric first, Windows last.
I say screw Gates of the future and apparently so does Sun. This is
GOOD! Only problem Im having is getting permission for Wonderland to
launch the apps... still looking for the glitch, others are already
doing it with great success. Now, here's the grabber for the OP,
Wonderland will save a session movie. Couldn't that be streamed to his
low-cost transmitter? I would think so. Using Webcams is already under
alpha testing. I think this would be a heckuva thing to do to stream as
a source of media to broadcast. My two-cents, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar