Re: What's all the hype over Ubuntu?

Da Rock wrote:

If the answers to the problems are found on ubuntu web pages doesn't that mean the problems also exist in ubuntu? If ubuntu handled the problem directly then there would be no point in asking how to do it... :-)

Do the results/resolution to the problem translate to other distros or are they specific to ubuntu?

Actually 90% of the time they do correlate. If Ubuntu does nothing else,
it does help newbies work out linux- even on other distros. If the user
gets stuck trying to work out how to sort it on their own distro they
can can get (although usually curt, hence why they would ask Ubuntu) a
response from the distro's team of players.

With all of the above being the case then I venture to say that the appeal of ubuntu is not based on its technical merits. I do know that if I were going to start playing tennis again (or even when I was young enough to start tennis for the first time) I would feel intimidated joining a group that included Rodger Sampras. I get the feeling that has much to do with ubuntu's popularity. Also, in general, given no clear reason people will stick with what they know and once they know a distro they will stick with it.

FWIW, I have ubuntu installed on a VM and do play with it from time to time. Probably need more time to learn its quarks. But the one thing I noticed is that the folks on their mailing lists, IMHO, tend to be greener than average and the amount of bad advice or misinformation is greater than other lists that have insufferable geeks. :-)

This is true as well, but the Ubuntu lists appear to have real techs
roving the lists to fix issues.

I think you will find that true of all the lists of the major distros.

Love it or hate it, Ubuntu does appear to be here to stay, and it does
appear to be doing some good in the war against M$ as many (even
hardcore) M$ users will at least try it out for usability. My personal
opinion is to put complete newbies on it so they're not thrown in the
deep end- at least they have floaties! ;) Once they've gained their feet
then put them on something more reliable and stable. I find Ubuntu is
not as stable or functional as other linux distros, but easier to use.
It is of course far more stable than Windows at least- and
tougher/solid- while offering pretty much the same functionality they're
used to.

Linux is like religion. There is room in this world for all. Except, of course, those that feel it is their mission to stamp out all others. :-)

Ok I'm done. Hope I don't start something with this- I tend to agree
with the sentiment that this could get ugly here.

If not ugly, at least OT when it comes to talking about fedora issues.