Re: Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 07:25 +1030, Tim wrote:
> One might think that if you're using a personal computer as a server,
> that by the time a several-year lifespan OS reached end-of-life, you'd
> probably want to be taking advantage of new hardware, as well.  So an
> upgrade by building a new machine, copying data over to it, and swapping
> it over for the old server, would seem the prudent way to go about it.

Fedora seems to be getting away from this, but one of the selling points
for Slackware used to be that you could take some of the older hardware
that wouldn't be able to handle the latest Microsoft OS, and still do
useful things with it under Linux.  I have an old system that I'm using
as a firewall/router/name server.  I have an old laptop that I'm about
to install F9 Beta on to use as a carputer to "serve" music to my in
vehicle stereo.

Dave