Re: Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

David G. Mackay wrote:
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 20:51 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:

There's losing and there's really losing. If Fedora won't boot, you have the services of neither until it's fixed.

A little shore of Best Practice.

I don't think that anyone was talking about HA-Linux and redundant power
supplies here, John.  It's fairly trivial to set up a separate partition
with a fallback OS.  I routinely do this with Fedora on one of my
machines, and then rotate versions of Fedora between the two partitions
as the releases become available.  If an update makes the newer version
unbootable (extremely rare that you can't just use grub to boot the
previous kernel), then there's always the old version to boot into.

There was a point in mid-FC5 where an update kernel would not boot on an IBM Xseries 225 (fairly mainstream dual-xeon boxes, I thought) without doing a motherboard bios update - after which the older kernels wouldn't boot. And of course there were no warnings about this or much of a reason to expect it to work after doing the bios flash either. And there have been several updates that failed to boot on popular Dell and IBM MPT scsi controllers - even one late into FC6 which was otherwise pretty stable.

--
 Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx