Re: Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

Roger Heflin wrote:

I can't recall ever being in a position of "having to bring in new hardware". What scenario forces this issue on you? I haven't noticed a shortage of vendors who will sell RHEL supported boxes. But it sounds like you have an interesting job...

More cpu power needed to do the job. And the new boxes aren't officially RHEL supported (and sometimes won't even boot with the latest update-but will work with the latest fedora/kernel.org).

Something faster than IBM could sell you?

I had a subset of machines (about 250 machines) all of which had reached about 500+ days of uptime (the uptime counter rolled over)

Wasn't that fixed circa RH8?  I had some 7.3 machines roll over twice.

The issue with all OSes is that no one tests enough to catch these high MTBF issues, and in a big environment a machine crashing 1x per every 1000 days of uptime, comes to 1 machine a day crashing because of software, and typically the enterprise OSes aren't even close to that level, and while fedora is worse, it is just not that much worse.

I don't think RH7.3 with its final updates or Centos3.x (where x>1) had anything approaching a software crash per 1000 days - at least not in the base system and common services. I mostly skipped the 4.x series because I didn't trust the early 2.6 kernels at all, but 5.1 seems solid.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx