Re: Accessing USB Programmer With avrdude

Robert L Cochran wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
Robert L Cochran wrote:
I'm having trouble trying to access a USB device under Fedora 7. I think
udev might be my problem.

When I try using avrdude with this line:

[rlc@bobcp4 atmega644]$ avrdude -c usbtiny -p m644 -P usb -U
flash:w:blink_pb3.hex

I get this error message:

avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)
Try with a leading zero. .../0x0c9f

I got frustrated and tried this on Microsoft Windows XP...I have this
working on XP -- avrdude definitely detects the programmer device and
then it is able to initialize the target microcontroller through the

That rules out a lot of the potential problems.

Did you try the leading zero? It would surprise me not at all if some critical software's doing a character compare, and even if it's converting to binary, there are two ways to convert 0xcf8 one = 0x0cf9 and the other 0xcf90. Which correct is a matter of definition.

programmer. On Fedora 7, it cannot detect the programmer at all, and I
think that is either because there is a udev rules problem, or avrdude
was built without libusb support. Maybe I should get the source rpm and
check into that.

I would expect it to run without udev. I would expect lsusb to see the device, and when you modprobe the driver, the driver should see it.

udev is icing, it's no good without the cake.

I will try to put up a web page with photos of the programmer connected
to a breadboard with the target mcu (an ATMega644) and a test circuit to
play with...specifically an LED connected to pin PB3 that I want to blink.

It won't mean anything to me:-)

--

Cheers
John