Re: gtkpod -

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Bear in mind that I have never used one of the devices and am not
> familiar with their operation, they are mainly an annoyance since
> it's hard to communicate with a kid with those things in his ears.

I sometimes use that feature to my advantage.  I'd often rather have
music in my ears than listen to various people that want my attention.

> It's mainly an interesting thing to examine and experiment with ...
> And I would like to demonstrate that I can manipulate it without
> Windows!

Definitely a nice thing.  My ipod would be worthless if it required
windows.  In fact, I feel bad for the folks stuck using itunes or
windows to manage their ipods.  I have much greater control over the
device from linux than they do from windows.

> The next logical step would be to transfer the iPod files from my
> Linux computers to their XP box.  Yet another project appears ...

As an idea for that, you could setup a music share (probably via SMB,
if you have a bunch of Windows systems) on your network so they could
browse and listen to the music located on your computer from any of
the other computers on the network.

You could also share the music via the DAAP protocol, which allows
other DAAP clients (like iTunes) to see your music and play it.  There
are tools in Fedora to do DAAP easily either via a daemon or using a
number of music programs (banshee and rhythmbox both can do this IIRC,
as I'm sure a number of others can).

If quitters never win, and winners never quit, then who is the fool
who said "Quit while you're ahead?"