Re: gtkpod -

Todd Zullinger wrote:
Bob Goodwin wrote:
Can someone tell me how to go about copying the all music off an
ipod and then putting some of the files onto another one?

Sure.  If you have gtkpod started and the ipod is showing up in the
left pane, you right click and select "Copy Tracks to Filesystem."

In the dialog that opens, you browse to the directory to which you
want to export the music.  You can specify a format for the exported
files in the filename format box.  There is an unfortunate bug that
affects gtkpod on F8 which makes the tooltip that explains the
available formats disappear nearly instantly[1].  The tooltip reads:

"Determines the filename of tracks you copy from the iPod, e.g
'%a/%A/%T - %t.mp3' or '%o'.  You can separate several patterns by
semicolons -- gtkpod will determine which one to use by the filename
extension given. Artist: %a, album: %A, composer: %c, title: %t,
genre: %G, track nr: %T, CD nr: %C, year: %Y, original filename
(requires extended information file): %o, current playlist: %p, the
character '%': %%."

If you have mp3 and aac (mp4, m4a) tracks on the ipod, you could use
something like this to organize them by artist/album/tracknum-title:

%a/%A/%T-%t.mp3;%a/%A/%T-%t.m4a;%a/%A/%T-%t.mp4

After you've saved the contents of one ipod, you can then add those
files to another ipod.  Perhaps it's best to ensure that this part
works well first, then move on to adding files to the other ipod?

Is the ipod you will be copying to is a newer ipod (classic, video
nano, touch, or iphone)?

[1] I think this might be a gtk bug, but I've not had much luck
tracking it down. If anyone has ideas or has seen similar problems in other gtk apps on F8, I'd love to hear about it.

Ok, that seems to permit me to save files from the iPods using gtkpod. Playing back the files I saved seems simplest using Amarok. Unfortunately the iPod I have to experiment with this morning
   belongs to a teen aged grandson and contains nothing but whining
   adolescents singing, a horror to work with!

   The files on the iPod are grouped such as "Top Rated," etc. and I
   have only been able to copy those groups into newly created
   directories.  I would prefer to be able to copy the entire contents
   of the iPod in on fell swoop.  I'm still looking at that.

   Thanks to all for your help.

   Bob Goodwin