Install question #2 - disk order and video mode

The FC8 install seems to assign drive identifiers in some random order instead of BIOS order. I thought that was fixed back around 2.6.17, but it certainly isn't the case AFAIK, if I boot the rescue CD I get one set of assignments (not BIOS order), and if I boot I get another. Needless to say this makes getting a bootable install nearly impossible.

The video is also not set properly during (attempted) boot, rescue and install use VESA mode, attempted boot uses something else, but since the system doesn't come up all I can tell is that the mode is wrong, but barely readable.

I went back and reinstalled FC1, the original Linux on the box, and it still works just fine. Disk order is BIOS order, video is VESA or some other functional mode, all works.

Any comments on any of this? I have tried the obvious video= things as boot options.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still