Re: Install question #2 - disk order and video mode

Bill Davidsen wrote:
The FC8 install seems to assign drive identifiers in some random order instead of BIOS order. I thought that was fixed back around 2.6.17, but it certainly isn't the case AFAIK, if I boot the rescue CD I get one set of assignments (not BIOS order), and if I boot I get another. Needless to say this makes getting a bootable install nearly impossible.

Device scanning is asynchronous now, and drives may come up in *any* order, potentially changing even across reboots even with no changes to software or hardware. This is why we use labels and uuids.

-- Chris