Re: NetworkManager 0.7 and static IP - how ?!?

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:30:14 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Frank, unless I totally misread the the original post, there is no "your
> dhcp server" to configure to anything, he has been told to use a static
> IP address. That means his computer doesn't ask for an IP, it uses the
> same IP all the time.

It's my understanding that there is a DHCP server on the network because his
laptop receives a "random IP address" when Network Manager sends its dhcp
request.

All he has to do is to configure that dhcp server (or get whoever is in charge
of that dhcp server to configure it) to provide the correct IP address to his
laptop.  This is done by associating the mac address of his laptop to the IP
address that he requires as part of the dhcp server's configuration.

The laptop's mac address can be found by typing this at a command prompt:
"/sbin/ifconfig".  The series of numbers and letters following "HWaddr" is the
mac address of the network card.