Re: NVidia 6600GT video failure

On 2008-02-22, Lonni J Friedman <netllama@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 5:47 PM, John Thompson <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 2008-02-21, Brian Chadwick <brianchad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>  > are you sure your bargain buy is working properly?
>>
>>  Seems to work ok from a live CD.
>>
>>  BTW, this seems to be the sticking point (from /var/log/Xorg.0.log):
>>
>>  (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
>>  dlopen: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so: undefined symbol:
>>  miZeroLineScreenIndex

> Whichever driver you installed wasn't installed correctly.  You need
> to reinstall the driver.

Ok, I have finally gotten it to work. I dropped down to runlevel 3,
removed all the xorg-x11-drv* and xorg-x11-server* packages, and
reinstalled them from the installation DVD. The "nv" driver worked
fine, so I decided to try the livna rpms for the proprietary driver. No
joy -- complained about an incompatible kernel module. Removed the livna
rpms, including the kmod packages, downloaded the "build-it-yerself"
.bin package from nVidia, and built all new modules and drivers. After
that, it worked.

Thanks!

--

John (john@xxxxxxxxxxx)