Re: roadnav question

On Friday 22 February 2008, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> > Anyway, wxGTK is building from the tarball.  I inspected the Dec respin
>>
>> of F8's dvd, and none of that is on the dvd, nor can yumex find it to
>> install it.  That really really ought to be part of the distro IMO.
>
>It is:
>
>[root@phoenix ~]# yum list | grep "^wx"
>wxGTK.i386                               2.8.4-6.fc8            installed
>wxGTK-gl.i386                            2.8.4-6.fc8            installed
>wxPython.i386                            2.8.4.0-2.fc8          installed
>wxGTK-devel.i386                         2.8.4-6.fc8            fedora
>wxGlade.noarch                           0.6.1-1.fc8            updates
>wxMaxima.i386                            0.7.4-2.fc8            updates
>wxPython-devel.i386                      2.8.4.0-2.fc8          fedora
>wxdfast.i386                             0.6.0-3.fc8            fedora
>wxsvg.i386                               1.0-0.5.b7_3.fc8       fedora
>wxsvg-devel.i386                         1.0-0.5.b7_3.fc8       fedora
>[root@phoenix ~]#

1. But its not called "wxwindows" per sei, as the error message so eloquently
states.

2. Yumex could not find it, searches for 'wx' came up empty, on the system or
in the repos, nor on the respin dvd last night, so I downloaded wxGTK and
built and installed it from the tarball, version 2.8.7.
Took an hour just to build it.  This compiler is a POS.  And this morning now,
yum (but not yumex) CAN find it:

[root@coyote roadnav-0.19]# yum list | grep "^wx"
wxGTK.i386                               2.8.4-6.fc8            installed
wxGTK-devel.i386                         2.8.4-6.fc8            installed
wxGTK-gl.i386                            2.8.4-6.fc8            installed
wxGlade.noarch                           0.6.1-1.fc8            updates
wxMaxima.i386                            0.7.4-2.fc8            updates
wxPython.i386                            2.8.4.0-2.fc8          fedora
wxPython-devel.i386                      2.8.4.0-2.fc8          fedora
wxdfast.i386                             0.6.0-3.fc8            fedora
wxsvg.i386                               1.0-0.5.b7_3.fc8       fedora
wxsvg-devel.i386                         1.0-0.5.b7_3.fc8       fedora

WTF? Why couldn't yumex? So now I have a mix-n-miss-matched wxGTK install,
fscking loverly...

3. Fedora 8 cripples ldconfig by not including all the usual suspect library
locations by default in ld.so.conf, meaning I had to build and install
libroadnav 4 times fixing such tomfoolery cuz it couldn't find *any* of the
wxGTK stuffs, before I could even ./configure roadnav, which I did 4 times
also before it would actually run.  The F7 rpm segfaults instantly here, runs
great on my F8 lappy though.

It wouldn't have been so bad, but the man page for ld.so.conf is a decade old
and does NOT describe correctly how to add another path, so several of those
repeats were experiments in getting ldconfig to properly recognize the paths
and include the wxGTK stuff.  It certainly wasn't finding any of the rpm
installed stuff that yum now claims _is_ installed this morning and is shown
above.

4. and something is still missing, roadnav is a cpu hog, and segfaults at the
drop of a doll sized hat.

Feb 21 21:05:49 coyote kernel: [799800.925900] roadnav[30556]: segfault at
00000041 eip 494b9d2f esp bf9d8570 error 4

All this because the pl2303 driver tends to lose the first bite of a packet
and I was trying to test the new code being discussed on lkml with a low
traffic but pretty steady stream of data from my elderly Garmin 12, an ideal
test generator for such a scenario.

Somehow I don't feel like offering any thanks when such roadblocks are strewn
about.  The ldconfig thing is breaking stuff just to lock us into the rpm
camp if we're cautious & wanna stick with distro only SW.  Absolutely NO
mention of the new /etc/ld.so.conf.d directory, its usage or the 'include'
directive which is now the only line in the installed /etc/ld.so.conf.  I
don't recall it existing in FC6.  Such changes should be documented where
they can be found with a simple man command if you want folks to be aware of
them.

End of rant, I'll go quietly officer.

--
Cheers, Gene