Re: NVidia 6600GT video failure

John Thompson wrote:
Having been disappointed with the on-board Intel 945GM video hardware on my new computer, I found an inexpensive nVidia 6600GT PCI-E board with 512MB ram to replace it. Unfortunately, I cannot get either the "nv" driver or the proprietary nVidia driver to work with it: "no screens found."

I used system-config-display to generate a new xorg.conf; no joy.

Built the latest proprietary nVidia driver modules to try the proprietary driver; no joy. Plus, the nvideo OpenGL libraries hosed the old Intel libraries so I had to reinstall the Intel driver rpms. The new card works with the "vesa" driver, but only gives me a 60hz refresh rate, which gives me a headache in about 5 minutes. Adding insult to injury, after reinstalling the old Intel drivers, I can no longer get hardware OpenGL support, so everything runs even worse than it did before.

Is there a secret to getting the nVidia stuff to work? I'm using Fedora8 x86-64 with kernel 2.6.23.15-137.fc8. With my old machine, the proprietary modules built and installed fine, but this new machine is being a PITA.

FC8, nv driver
Here is a working xorg.conf for a Nvidia GeForce 6600 LE, compare yours with this.
I wouldn't use the Livna "kmod-nvidia" unless you wanting to run 3D apps.
Every time you do a update on the kernel you have to do a kmod-nvidia update and livna doesn't always have that update
until about a week later.
I use two Nvidia GeForce 6600 LE cards in two different boxes, using the "nv" driver with much better results.

# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "single head configuration"
   Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"

EndSection