Re: Off Topic: can anyone recommend a USB KVM

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 11:16 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> Most USB based KVM's require PS2 keyboard and mouse, and they connect
> to the client machines via USB - those generally work, though, with
> caveats.

Not when I've looked.  Most KVMs were either all PS/2 or all USB, inputs
and outputs.  Ones that were a converter in the middle were the least
common available products, around here.

After watching a friend's woes with all USB, all PS/2, and one that
converted (three different models and brands), I'm not enamoured with
the technology.  It seems such a basic thing to do, yet they all managed
it so badly.  Looking at some of the behaviour of them (dim and
flickering indicator lights, oddball behaviour when some PC was off or
booting, etc.), I'd say that any KVM that allowed you to power it
independently, instead of from the host PCs, might be an improvement.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.