Re: Where do i change the default DVD application?

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 15:21 +0100, Mark wrote:
> Where would you expect it to be if you didn't know about Removable
> devices and media.

Blunt answer:  We have menus, it allows us to look through them and see
what's on offer.  It doesn't take too long to find these choices.  And
if you're unfamiliar with a system, it does pay to look through them all
from time to time, and find out what they're for.

Having said that, I see room for improvement.  The default applications
should set what program is the DVD player, amongst other default
applications you could set (music players, text editors, etc.).  So that
anything that calls upon a DVD player, uses your preferred one.  The
removeable media preferences should ask whether you want to play the DVD
video automatically, or not, with the first playing option being to use
your default player, *then* let you pick some other option, with another
parameter, if you wanted.

e.g. Auto-play on insertion might use a simple command that starts
playing full screen, and no further questions asked.  Double-clicking or
right-click to play a DVD might bring up a player with a GUI control
panel.  For those people that do have different preferences for those
two different ways.

Personally, I'd turn auto-play-on-insert off, and pick a player that'd
be used when I deliberately want to play a disc.  I don't usually play
DVDs on the computer, I do often copy them though.  Auto players get in
the way of that.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.