Re: That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

Ed Greshko wrote:

perhaps, but that would violate the fundamental rule that's already
been mentioned a number of times here -- don't mix non-fedora repos.

"mentioned here" == a few hundred people understand it - maybe...
Well, it is sort of like customizing your car.

If you start with the realization that the manufacturer omits vital parts and you are required to customize to have something useful.

if they forget, and cavalierly start dragging packages out of other
repositories sometime down the road, they have no one but themselves
to blame.

Can you point to the documentation that explains that? It's broken as designed.

I think it is more of a common sense type of thing. Anyone can start their own 3rd party repository.

The 3rd parties in question existed before the fedora repos.

You or I could start our own. But it is just like any other 3rd party enterprise. It is not expected, or mandated that they work together.

Not expected to work togther...  Yes that's a good description.

If you think they should...then you are operating under a flawed assumption.

I think we agree that the design is wrong.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx