Re: That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 13:10 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> >
> > If we understand that Fedora is an ideal enthusiast Linux then the whole 'user
> > is responsible for their own mix and matching' attitude is very
> > understandable.  If we think that Fedora is an ideal newbie or general-user
> > distribution, then, well, I have an old Crosley four cylinder you'd love to
> > drop into a Ford Festiva.  I'll come back in twenty years after you've made
> > it work. :-)
> Well said. Fedora is not an ideal newbie or general-user
> distribution, and does not claim to be. I have never understood the
> people that keep demanding that it be something that it is not. One
> reason for having different Linux distributions is that they are
> aimed at different audiences. There is not a "one size fits all"
> distribution, and I feel there shouldn't be.

I think that the expectation of such a huge project as Fedora, backed by
such a major player as Red Hat and it's cadre of loyal users. is that
the "Right Thing" will emerge from this total effort. At least that is
my own personal expectation.

Sure, we're ALL Beta Testers. That is a done deal, etched in stone. Yet,
it is my spin that, at some point, re-occurring "bugs", "glitches" and
"gotchas" will become resolved. Period. Again, an expectation of the
"Right Thing" to occur. That is the corner-stop of the "Geek Manifesto".
Anything else is heretical, the "Wrong Thing", and to be eventually
eliminated, demised, sent to the Heavenly Choir, gone to the after-life,
and everything else listed in the "Dead Parrot" Monty Python Script.

None of us can demand a damn thing, but hopefully if enough "it would be
better if"'s reach the right ears, then maybe ...just maybe, all this
crap can be resolved within the 3rd party repos. I think that reflects
the overall -mood- of the choir here. While certainly no-one has to live
up to my expectations, that doesn't exclude me nor anyone else from
having some. Edward R. Morrow said, "Do not confuse my dissent with
disloyalty." during a McCarthy hearing. Same thing here. True
assertiveness would have us all bend, just a little, in search of
compromise.

A toga can fit all sizes. Now if only I can find my gold sandals and
laurel wreath.. <strikes the pose>  Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar