Re: Google Earth

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 12:45 -0500, David Boles wrote:

> Claude Jones wrote:
> | On Sat January 12 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:
> |> I would like to try the re-packaged rpm files from Fedora. How do
> |> you start the update system so it works with every new kernel? I think
> |> someone said you have to go to freshrpms wherever that is :-)
> |
> | Karl: Go to freshrpms.net
> |
> | A little way down is the instruction:
> | "The easiest way to install freshrpms.net packages is to click here from
> | within firefox.........."
> |
> | Click on the word 'here' and that will install the freshrpms repo
> | Keep in mind that some packages from freshrpms MAY clash with packages from
> | the livna repository, if you also have that enabled. Tread carefully.
> | Personally, I switched to freshrpms as my sole repo for most non-fedora
> | packages. If you want to go with their nVidia package, you'll have to first
> | uninstall the tarball you've installed from the nVidia site. I don't remember
> | the instruction, but you should be able to find it.
> |
> | When you install the nVidia package from freshrpms, it will also pull
> | the 'dkms' package, which stands for 'dynamic kernel module script' - each
> | time you reboot your machine after that, that script will check your
> | installed nVidia kernel-module against your running kernel and if it's not
> | correct, it will automatically build a new kernel module for you before
> | continuing the boot - when your machine comes up after a new kernel update,
> | you will see this happen, and your machine will come up fully working with
> | the nVidia driver.
> |
> | Note that there are some reports of some folks having problems with a package
> | or two using the freshrpms package. I believe Gene H and Ric M have reported
> | such issues in the past. I have been running the freshrpms nVidia drivers on
> | multiple machines for a couple of years now without issues.
>

> I don't pay too much attention to those two. Ric is really crazy and Gene is
> really old.
>
> This is were I duck under my desk.  ;-)

Heh heh, I cannot fault the young for speaking the truth, although you
missed the part where I am getting old too. 58 is getting there on a
bobsled ride to Hell on greased rails. So, I'll truth you back ... youth
is WASTED on the young! Samuel Clements wrote that one. 'still true,
too. :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar