Re: Google Earth

On Sat January 12 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I would like to try the re-packaged rpm files from Fedora. How do
> you start the update system so it works with every new kernel? I think
> someone said you have to go to freshrpms wherever that is :-)

Karl: Go to freshrpms.net

A little way down is the instruction:
"The easiest way to install freshrpms.net packages is to click here from
within firefox.........."

Click on the word 'here' and that will install the freshrpms repo
Keep in mind that some packages from freshrpms MAY clash with packages from
the livna repository, if you also have that enabled. Tread carefully.
Personally, I switched to freshrpms as my sole repo for most non-fedora
packages. If you want to go with their nVidia package, you'll have to first
uninstall the tarball you've installed from the nVidia site. I don't remember
the instruction, but you should be able to find it.

When you install the nVidia package from freshrpms, it will also pull
the 'dkms' package, which stands for 'dynamic kernel module script' - each
time you reboot your machine after that, that script will check your
installed nVidia kernel-module against your running kernel and if it's not
correct, it will automatically build a new kernel module for you before
continuing the boot - when your machine comes up after a new kernel update,
you will see this happen, and your machine will come up fully working with
the nVidia driver.

Note that there are some reports of some folks having problems with a package
or two using the freshrpms package. I believe Gene H and Ric M have reported
such issues in the past. I have been running the freshrpms nVidia drivers on
multiple machines for a couple of years now without issues.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA