Re: Java problem

Craig White wrote:

But, as for hijacking, can you assert that no work currently in Linux came from unrestricted *bsd style code and had GPL restrictions attached to further development, hindering additional innovation? And that every contributor would have chosen to restrict distribution if it had not been necessary?
----
language as persuasion is always worth watching. I seem to recall the
language of 'viral' being attached to GPL by that great champion of
software freedom...Steve Balmer so it does seem curious that you signed
on to that terminology.

Some things are just obvious.

As a user of Linux, I am convinced that it is the GPL license that has
allowed Linux to become what it is today.

If by 'what it is today', you mean crippled in comparison to OS's that include and encourage vendor-supplied drivers, I might agree. If you mean 'more popular than *bsd based systems other than OS X', I'm convinced that happened because AT&T was suing BSDI at the time the popularity was established and the fate of the code base wasn't clear.

Your perspective on this list simply hasn't engendered any support.

Before zfs perhaps there wasn't anything that jumped out at you as missing strictly due to GPL restrictions.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx